1. We had a good collection of prints in the Print of the Year competition last Wednesday, and these gave our judge, Stan McCartin, cause to hold back 10 prints in the Mono section, and then 12 for the Colour section. Our congratulations go to Val Walker (The Towers), Brian Gibson (Low Tide at Canary Wharf), and Paul Burwood (Chef de Qui Fume) Highly Commended Mono Prints; and Neil Jackson (Winter Wonderland, 3rd), Gordon Philips (Staircase, 2nd), and Jeff Haynes (Six Happy Faces, 1st). In the Colour Competition congratulations to Mike Walker (Bonelli’s Eagle), Catherine Allen (Times Past), and Belinda Ewart (Smelling The Stew), all Highly Commended; and Mike Barber (Ballet Girl, 3rd), Mike Walker (Stilts Pair Bonding, 2nd) and Justin Grant (Fast Forward, 1st).
2. In London, you can see the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition at the Natural History Museum (Entry Free for Members of the Museum, £10:50 -- £13:50 adults, £6:50 -- £8:00, concessions). Please note that the Exhibition will be closed on July 13th. At Somerset House the Sony World Photography Exhibition continues until May 7th. Prices vary according to day and time of visit; over 60’s concession Mon—Fri only, except May 1st. If booking on-line, then the promotional code TUBE should earn you a 20% discount.
3. On September 23rd (9:00am – 5:00pm) the DI Expo 2017 will be held at the Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, by NEC. Many presentations and advice for anyone preparing for a LRPS or ARPS Award. Entry by ticket only.
4. Please sign up for Stewarding at the FEPS Exhibition (Sunday May 14th to Saturday May 27th). There is a Private Viewing Session for members on Wednesday May 17th at 8:00pm-------please come along; the local Councillor (Cllr Judy Kelly, Arts Champion for London Borough of Hillingdon) has agreed to attend.
5. This coming Wednesday we have a guest Speaker, John Humphrey, showing his images over a wide range of subjects, from landscapes to portraits including close-ups floral studies and abstract images.
6. Our AGM is on Wednesday May 24th. Please come along to support the club. If you are prepared to offer to help, or join, committee members please don’t be shy! Last season’s Trophy winners should return their trophies so that they can be engraved for this season’s winners.
7. The last 2 competitions of the season are the Projected Image of the Year Competition (on June 7th); and the Print Panel Competition (June 14th). The Panel should be 6 prints linked by a common theme. They are to be numbered in the order of viewing in a panel format. Judging is based on composition, lighting, techniques, print quality, cohesion, mounting, and presentation.
8. On Wednesday June 21st the Members Evening will give you a chance to bring along some prints for possible inclusion in the FEPS 2018 Calendar.